How 'High' is Your Potential?
by Suzie Doscher
Whether you are a leader, follower, entrepreneur, stay at home parent, working parent, searching for a new challenge or job, retired or reinventing yourself if you strive to give it your best you automatically are a “high potential.”
WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A “HIGH POTENTIAL” IN BUSINESS
The business world sees “high potentials” as individuals who are selected and receive special treatment and grooming to develop. They are helped to climb the ladder of success with coaching, mentoring and/or training for career development and advancement opportunities.
It’s an advantage to get this kind of attention, but someone else does not have to 'select' you in order for you to reach your goals at work and/or in life.
HERE ARE A FEW CHARACTERISTICS OF “HIGH POTENTIALS"
• Motivation to set goals, follow through and achieve them.
• Healthy self-worth and self-esteem.
• You know asking for support is a sign of strength.
• Challenges are seen as opportunities to grow.
• If something does not work, you try something else. Flexibility is the key.
• Energy Vampires – you get rid of them if possible. If not, you learn how to stop the vampires from draining your energy.
• You can say ‘No’, or ‘Not now’.
• You know that there is no ‘I’ in ‘Team'.
• You are a visionary and are able to “Act as if.” You can dream, think, and fantasize what it will be like once you have achieved your goal.
• You love to keep moving forward.
Everybody has potential. Forget work for a moment, take a minute and think what is it you would really like to achieve in your life? Reflect on what you truly want and what fulfills you.
If you want to be strong at work being strong in your personal life will have to come first. Only then will you be able to give it your best at work.
What do you think you might feel later in life if you realize you gave your best at work only? Your personal life and your personal potential are equally important in the bigger picture, if not more. Besides, the emotional intelligence you gain by reflecting and working on 'being the best you' is priceless, will serve you and spill over into your life at work.
Think about it, you owe it to yourself.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Self-Help Book / Personal Development